Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Low Budget


Low Budget is a 1979 album by the English rock group, The Kinks. With all the economic turmoil out there, their song "Low Budget" seems more timely than ever. This Christmas, instead of giving that designer bag or trendy sports vehicle, consider a Kinks CD.

If you are paying bills and worrying about the future, click on this link to Ray Davies singing "Low Budget" on YouTube.
It'll make you feel better, for sure.

You might even be able to work yourself and a crowd up into euphoria with "Low Budget" as a party song – perhaps the anthem of the year?

Low Budget
Cheap is small and not too steep
But best of all cheap is cheap
Circumstance has forced my hand

To be a cut price person in a low budget land


Times are hard but we'll all survive
I just got to learn to economize
I'm on a low budget
I'm on a low budget
I'm not cheap, you understand

I'm just a cut price person in a low budget land


Excuse my shoes they don't quite fit

They're a special offer and they hurt me a bit

Even my trousers are giving me pain

They were reduced in a sale so I shouldn't complain

They squeeze me so tight so I can't take no more
They're size 28 but I take 34
I'm on a low budget

What did you say
? I'm on a low budget I thought you said that I'm on a low budget I'm a cut price person in a low budget land

I'm shopping at Woolworth and low discount stores
I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more

Quality costs, but quality wastes
So I'm giving up all of my expensive tastes

Caviar and champagne are definite nos,
I'm acquiring a taste for brown ale and cod roes
Low budget sure keeps me on my toes

I count every penny and I watch where it goes
We're all on our uppers we're all going skint

I used to smoke cigars but now I suck polo mints

I'm on a low budget What did you say Yea I'm on a low budget I thought you said that I'm on a low budget I'm a cut price person in a low budget land I'm on a low budget Low budget Low budget

Art takes time, time is money

Money's scarce and that ain't funny

Millionaires are things of the past
We're in a low budget film where nothing can last

Money's rare there's none to be found

So don't think I'm tight if I don't buy a round


I'm on a low budget
What did you say Yes I'm on a low budget I thought you said that I'm on a low budget I'm a cut price person in a low budget land I'm on a low budget Say it again Low budget One more time Low budget

I look like a tramp, but don't write me off
I'll have you all know I was once a tough
At least my hair is all mine, my teeth are my own
But everything else is on permanent loan
Once all my clothes were made by hand
Now I'm a cut price person in a low budget land

I'm on a low budget I'll have you all know We're on a low budget I'm on a low budget

Ray Davies has a new musical, too: Come Dancing. Kind of makes me want to hop on a plane to Theatre Royal Stratford East. (But wait – I'm on a Low Budget...)

Hmmm, reminds me of the new Killers song, "Human", with its question: "Are we human, or are we dancer?" My kids say that the word is out on that: We're dancer, not denser. Here is Marilyn, a philomath from North Dakota, providing more insight into that topic. (Thank you, Marilyn!) She's got really cool Obama wallpapers at her site, too: just click on election.

No comments: