Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck Hits the News


I saw it first just now on Facebook – the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck, shown here in a photo by Annmarie Hordern for NPR.

Featuring metrosexual ice cream toppings (such as ground wasabi nuts),
the truck is the brainchild summer business of classically trained bassoonist Doug Quint. He is what makes it gay, he tells those customers who happen to ask. Love this quote from the breaking NPR story:

"If I weren't gay, I wouldn't call it the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. And if I weren't happy, I wouldn't have the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. It would just be the big crabby ice cream truck."

"It kind of came about because the idea of a middle-aged gay guy driving an ice cream truck seemed pretty humorous and a little bit suspect to me. I love the idea of what people might be saying, so I thought, 'Whatever they might be saying, let's grab it and amplify it times a hundred and label the truck that way,' " Quint says. "There's gonna be no doubt. It's the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck."

It's breaking news, folks! Doug has a great Big Gay Ice Cream Truck blog, too, where he notes on a Twitter feed: "Look at what we're sandwiched between. 'Real' news. Good lord. I need to wrap duct tape around my skull right now to keep it all intact!!!" And a brand (perhaps a franchise opportunity?) is born overnight, with a brilliant, authentic identity. How's he going to get back to bassoon season?!

No comments: