Thursday, August 6, 2009

Decluttering...the Mind Map


I've been in a decluttering frame of mind recently, and appreciated this mind map posted by a friend on facebook. It comes from Paul Foreman, a prolific mind-mapper.

Okay, but I do have a confession to make: I am an ambivalent declutterer, not the kind of person who easily or ruthlessly discards material possessions. I think that's because I am also an artist and archivist, and some of the more exhilarating moments of my life have occurred when I've entered a space full of "junk" and been able to dig into the treasure. I can feel as disoriented in a space that is "too empty" as many people may feel in a space that's too full. I do love to approach clutter and reshape and reorganize it, putting like things together and discarding those that seem truly superfluous. But the thrill of chaos, rearrangement, and transformation: I'm in.

This is a fascinating topic, I think, and I'm reflecting on it as I take boxes to the corner for recycling. Anyone else decluttering out there? What kind of poem do you enter when you declutter?

3 comments:

Lyle Daggett said...

In my experience, poems mostly begin from clutter.

elena said...

! very interesting.
* A clutter in mathematics is a kind of collection of sets.
And there is this: an article in Scientific American notes that humanity's propensity for data collection is growing at a rate faster than our ability to store it.

Kathy said...

From clutter to cluster, watching patterns emerge...that's how I like to imagine ethnographic "data collection."