Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pushing the envelope: Happy birthday, Jack!


Jack's 19th birthday, and I wanted to make a card out of something unusual. I get a lot of business envelopes, and they are usually the first thing to be recycled or shredded. But I noticed that the insides of these are often interesting, and they include windows made of glassine paper.

I had a lot of fun making a card with a front, back, and an interior page, gluing envelopes together and adding other paper elements, including part of a reproduction from a math project Jack did as a kid, a chart showing prime numbers.

The front is the WOW page, with the WOW behind glassine. The back has the little Hermes fellow with the American flag (the Jack icon). The next page includes part of the math chart. Next up, the orange page, with the illustration that reminds me of elaborate catapulting constructions Jack used to make. The end result is a little card sculpture.

Happy birthday, Jack!

2 comments:

Daughter Number Three said...

Sometimes I wish you were my mom. (To my mom -- not really, it's just a figure of speech.)

elena said...

You can be my Daughter Number Two anytime, Sista!