Saturday, May 30, 2009

"Garden and Cosmos" Embellished Clothespins






Consider the humble wooden clothespin: one of the great little inventions. I got pulled into a new little crafting obsession with this stumbled-upon tutorial from Pin and Paper (who endearingly describes herself as "mother, crafter, knitter, reader, writer, procrastinator. Sarcastic, self-deprecating, exhausted yet inspired"). It's very easy, and before I knew it we had a crowd of embellished clothespins, perfect as magnets or an alternative to paper clips.

My first batch was made with beautiful postcards from my friend Deb, from the Garden and Cosmos show at the Freer and Sackler Galleries in Washington, D.C., where she works. Here's a glimpse. I loved seeing that show last November, and the images continue to haunt and inhabit – now they are hanging from their own clothespins. The photos aren't fabulous, but the clothespins really are!

No comments: