Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Interregnum: In Between States


Another way to think of a time of transition is of an interregnum. Historically the period of time between the reign of one monarch and the next, an interregnum is a metaphor for a time of being in between "states".

An interregnum can be thought of as a gap or pause that emphasizes the transitional relationship between what came before and what comes next in a sequence. States or things (or spaces) are reconfigured, recalibrated, reset to begin anew.

I think these pauses are important in personal terms as well, and so I am taking my own little interregnum, at a workshop retreat in the hills of Brown County during the next couple of days. We'll be without laptops, cell phones, and other electronic devices, but have been asked to bring pens, paper and yoga mats. I'm looking forward to this pause, and will return to composing elenabella on Friday. In the meantime, don't go away – thanks to the magic of scheduled postings, I will have some treats for you each day!

2 comments:

Daughter Number Three said...

Love the artwork for this one.

Somehow, I learned the word interregnum when I was in 7th grade and wrote a science-fictionish short story with that story about a teen girl living in a semi-post-apocalyptic setting. I don't remember much about it, except that the teacher disliked it. I wonder to this day if it was actually bad (for a seventh grader) or not.

elena said...

I bet that was a great story...wish it would turn up somewhere in your filing cabinet!