Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bambi Obsession, Revisited







My Bambi fascination remains (downgraded to an interest), fueled by the view from our windows of the deer living in the woods along the back of our yard. Displaced by a new housing development, they roam along the gully, eating whatever they can find.

I wanted to garden, but they ate my tomatoes. They eat the hostas, the peonies, the peppers...and yet. There they are, in our urban wildlife sanctuary. I think about them, and we stare each other down from time to time.

Here's a photo of the Bambi piece I made long ago (mentioned last September 22), in its finished state...with images by Kurt Weise, copied from a 1931 edition of Bambi, by Felix Salten. The words are on the outside, images on the interior. (I know, it's kind of a traumatized Freudian Bambi – but aren't they all?)

No comments: