Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Complicated Worlds of Fur, from Walton Ford





I recently read Calvin Tomkins' fascinating profile of the painter Walton Ford in The New Yorker, and then found this self-portrait of the artist over at You Tube. (I just have to say: I'm impressed with the digital reader and web features of The New Yorker's site.)

Searching for more, I came upon Irene Gallo's very interesting blog The Art Department. Gallo has been art director at Tor/Forge Books since 1992 and at Starscape Books since its launch in 2002, placing her at the center of contemporary sci fi illustration, for one thing.

Here, in his own words, is an introduction to the "complicated worlds of fur" you find in the watercolors of Walton Ford. I also appreciate the clutter in his studio, contrasting with the meticulous renderings in his artworks.




No comments: